This seven-member commission acts in an advisory capacity to the City Council on programs, policies, and other issues regarding housing and human services. Specific duties include:
- Review and make recommendations on the Housing and Community Revitalization Sub-Element and Socioeconomic Element of the General Plan.
- Review proposed funding policies and grant applications by eligible housing and human service* agencies for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) HOME and/or other available funds for public services and/or housing projects, and make funding recommendations to Council in response to the proposals received.
- Hold public hearings on draft HUD Consolidated Plans and Annual Action Plans to receive public input and provide recommendations to Council regarding the content of those plans.
- In the interest of efficiency and certainty of the land use planning and development process, the Housing and Human Services Commission shall not be involved formally in matters within the responsibility of the Sunnyvale Planning Commission, as defined by State law and the Charter and ordinances of the City of Sunnyvale, in any manner that would delay or interfere with consideration of land use permit applications or legislative decisions affecting particular properties. The commission shall not be formally involved in issues pertaining directly to current or future human services programs which are directly provided by, co-sponsored by, or relate directly (in the case of outside funding) to the programs provided by City departments for which the Council has established an advisory board or commission, unless dual responsibility therefore is explicitly authorized by a City Council-approved Agenda Calendar or work plan.
- Study, evaluate and recommend policies relating to human rights and human relations issues related to housing and human services* in Sunnyvale.
*human services as defined by Council Policy 5.1.3
Meetings are typically held on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the West Conference Room at City Hall unless noted on the Agenda Notice.
Housing and Community Assistance Home Page