• Homeowners Association Resources


Planning Division
456 W. Olive Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
(408) 730-7444

Contact Us:
Planning Division

Homeowners Association Resources


Do you live in a townhome or condominium with a Homeowners Association (HOA)?  The City is updating its HOA contact list to keep Sunnyvale HOAs informed with important notifications, especially in the case of emergencies or other public safety issues. Please take a minute to provide the City with updated contact information by clicking here (http://ecityhall.sunnyvale.ca.gov/contact/lcas.aspx).


On April 7, 2009, the City Council made a series of policy decisions as part of a study to determine the enforceability of covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs) for violations to City Code and project approvals and ways to aid homeowners associations (HOAs) in managing their communities (RTC 09-090, see link below). Many HOA members have come to the City for help in resolving issues within their communities. The City recognizes that homeowners in common interest developments face many challenges and RTC 09-090 discusses the four main issues HOA members have come to the City for assistance with: parking, exterior mechanical equipment (such as air conditioning units), maintenance of trash containers and minor modifications to individual properties. During the study, it was also realized that many homeowners may not be aware of the services the City offers and the wealth of information out there regarding HOA membership, HOA law and other common issues that HOA members face. This webpage is part of an effort in disseminating available information to residents of common interest developments within the City, and it will be continually updated.

RTC 09-090

Roles and Responsibilities


  • Common Interest Development: As defined by state law, a common interest development (CID) is a form of real estate that is created whenever a separate property interest is coupled with an interest in the common area. In other words, a CID consists of individually-owned properties and common property that is owned by all the individual property owners. A CID can take the form of residential multi-story buildings or complex, single-family detached homes, attached townhomes, or industrial or commercial condominiums. Common property can include landscaped areas, recreational facilities, private streets or the exterior walls and roof of a condominium. All individuals that buy property in a CID automatically become a member of the CID’s homeowners association, which is responsible for managing the CID.
  • CC&Rs: CC&Rs are the governing documents that dictate all present and future owners’ use of property in the CID, and may include maintenance standards that require a higher standard of upkeep than City Codes. For example, CC&Rs may require front yard landscaping for individual properties to have certain species or a certain number of plants while the City may just require the front yard to be landscaped, without specifying the types of plants or trees to be planted there. However, any provisions still have to abide by federal, state and local laws. The CC&Rs also establishes rules and procedures for the HOA and its Board of Directors, such as holding meetings and hearings to make decisions for the community or how to assess fines.

City of Sunnyvale

The City’s responsibility is to protect the general health, safety and welfare of the public. The City enforces City Codes that apply to each and every property within the City to ensure that all neighborhoods and properties are maintained to a minimum standard. The City does not have the legal authority to directly enforce CC&Rs in a CID, but it does have the authority to act if it has been determined that a direct violation has been made to City Codes.

Homeowners Associations (HOA) and Individual Property Owners

The State of California gives the legal authority to the HOA and individual property owners to enforce the CC&Rs within their community. Although the CC&Rs may have higher maintenance standards than City Code requirements, HOAs are still required to comply with City requirements and processes.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Department of Real Estate’s: “Living in a California Common Interest Development”

What can the City do in helping manage parking issues in my community?
Planning Division staff has prepared a handout that can aid existing CID communities in managing parking issues. Please click on the following link for the handout:

Parking Management Tools Handout

More coming soon!

HOA Registry

The City strongly encourages existing HOAs to register and maintain contact information with the City. When the City was conducting the study described above, it was found that the City does not have updated contact information for all HOAs, which made it difficult to inform residents of the study issue. Maintaining updated contact information with the City will establish a communication link that the City can utilize to distribute and gather information, much in the same way it communicates with neighborhood associations.

To register or update HOA board members/officers or property manager information with the City, please contact the City’s Neighborhood and Community Resources Division or the City’s Planning Division.

Neighborhood and Community Resources Division
Phone: (408) 730-7599 
Contact Us: Neighborhood and Community Resources Division 

Planning Division
Phone: (408) 730-7440
Contact Us:Planning Division

HOA Resources



  • Neighborhood and Community Resources Program: The City’s Neighborhood and Community Resources Program was created to foster community engagement and help residents address their concerns and navigate the City’s structure. The program also contains the Neighborhood Association Registry, which seeks to create a formal relationship between the City and its neighborhood associations. For more information, please click the link below:

Neighborhood and Community Resources




Below are some links to independent internet sources that specialize in distributing valuable information to common interest development residents and HOA board members.  



Project Sentinel: Project Sentinel is funded by the City of Sunnyvale to provide free dispute resolution services for all residents. For more information, click on the links below.

Phone: (408) 720-9888
298 S. Sunnyvale Ave. #209
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

Office Hours: 9 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Monday through Friday

Wepage: http://www.housing.org/sunnyvale.htm


Brochure in English


Brochure in Spanish

Important Contact Information


Neighborhood and Community Resources Division

Phone: (408) 730-7599
Contact Us: Neighborhood and Community Resources Division


Planning Division

Phone: (408) 730-7440
Contact Us: Planning Division


Neighborhood Preservation Division

Phone: (408) 730-7610
Contact Us: Neighborhood Preservation Division


Building Division

Phone: (408) 730-7444
Contact Us: Building Division


Public Safety

Main (non-emergency): (408) 730-7100

Crime Prevention/Neighborhood Watch: (408) 730-7140

Nuisance Vehicle Hotline (408) 730-7706

Animal Control (408) 730-7178

One-Stop Permit Center

City Hall

456 W. Olive Ave

Sunnyvale, CA 94086


Telephone: (408) 730-7444

Hours: 8am - 5pm


City of Sunnyvale

Normal City Hours of Operation are
8 a.m. until 5 p.m.

(408) 730-7500

  • Sunnyvale City Hall
  • 456 W. Olive Ave.
  • Sunnyvale, CA 94086
  • TDD (408) 730-7501
  • Map and Directions 
  • City of Sunnyvale Logo

Can't Find It?

Follow Us

Follow us on Facebok Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Google+ Follow us on LinkedIn Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Vimeo Follow us on YouTube

About the Web Site

The City of Sunnyvale Web Site
is maintained by the Sunnyvale Communications Office and
the Department of Information Technology.

Questions? Contact Us.

The Fine Print