The City of Sunnyvale offers financial aid, in the form of fee waivers, to ensure that children of lower income residents have access to City recreation programs they might not otherwise be able to afford. In 2015-16, the Fee Waiver program served 218 eligible chidlren. For the upcoming 2016-17 fiscal year, the City has allocated $40,000 for fee waivers.
Fee waivers can be used to pay Department of Library and Community Services fees for summer camps, youth recreation classes and after-school programs sponsored by the City. Fee waivers cannot be redeemed for cash or used to pay for materials, nor can they be applied toward adult or senior programming, special events or participation in non-profit youth sports organizations.
- Fee waivers are limited to Sunnyvale residents age 17 and under.
- Eligibility is based on financial need.
- Eligible Sunnyvale residents may apply to offset the expense of class registration fees for youth ages 17 and under of up to $234 per eligible family member, per fiscal year.
- Fee waiver applicants will be asked to show proof of Sunnyvale residency and proof of financial need, usually a letter from the Sunnyvale, Cupertino or Santa Clara school district indicating that the family has been approved for the free or reduced price lunch program.
- Once approved, recipients will be asked to show proof of Sunnyvale residency each time they register for a program using their fee waiver.
Download a Fee Waiver application. The Fee Waiver application is also available in Spanish.
Applications are also available at the Sunnyvale Community Center, during normal business hours. See Fee Waiver Application Deadline section below. Note: Please allow 30 (thirty) days for a response to your application. Fee waiver funds are limited and subject to availability.
Fee Waiver Application Deadline
- Applications for the Fee Waiver Program are accepted July 1 – June 1.
- If you are granted a fee waiver, the last day to register for a program using your fee waiver funds is June 20.
- Any funds not used by June 20 are forfeited and cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year, nor used for another individual in the family.
- See chart below for summer camp and swim lessons deadlines.
| Fiscal Year
Deadline to Apply
Last Day to Use Funds*
|July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017
||Camps/Swim Lessons in June 2017
||June 20, 2017
|| May 1, 2017
|July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018
||Camps/Swim Lessons in July 2017
||June 1, 2017
||June 20, 2018
|Camps/Swim Lessons in August 2017
||July 1, 2017
| *If granted a Fee Waiver
For more information, call 408-730-7350.