Got stuff you longer want? Someone, somewhere can probably use it. Garage sales are a great way to keep useful items in circulation for reuse rather than throwing them into the landfill. No special City permit is required to host a sale, but the City requests that sellers remove their garage sale signs to minimize litter.
Citywide Garage Sale Day
The City hosts a Citywide Garage Sale Event where residents may register and the City advertises their sales in the Sunnyvale Sun. Shoppers can search sales by item with their mobile phone or computer to make finding bargains easier. The next event will be Saturday, August 26 and Sunday, August 27, 2017.
Tools for a successful sale:
Donations — Give, FreeCycle and Share
For items leftover from garage sales, or stuff you just want to get rid of, there are plenty of donation opportunities available to give items a second life:
- Visit Freecycle Sunnyvale or Sunnyvale Freecycle to post free items for neighbors, or even find items you may want at no cost.
- TrashNothing is another local trading and donation post, no fees, no sales.
- The Rooster is a sharing group that emphasizes "ask for whatever you want, help whenever you can," no fees for service or goods, just neighbors helping neighbors!
- Give away or sell items on eBay or Craigslist.
- Nextdoor is specific to small neighborhoods--look up your address to find your community.
- Goodwill has a dedicated drop-off only location next to Radio Shack at 715 Sunnyvale Saratoga Road, as well as behind the Sunnyvale retail store at 151 E Washington Ave.
- Salvation Army offers drop-off and pick-up opportunities.
- Members of a Las Madres group have access to a "Buy Sell Trade" Yahoo! group.
- Building materials can be donated to one of the several ReStore locations in the Bay Area to benefit Habitat for Humanity.
- The Recycling Program's Reuse Resources list provides a number of secondhand stores and charitable organizations.
Unwanted materials may be disposed of at the SMaRT Station, everyday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Disposal fees are based on type of material per cubic yard. Contact the SMaRT Station operator at (408) 752-8530 for fee information. During the first two weekends of April and October, residents may freely dispose of unwanted materials during Extra Dumping Weekends.
The City hosts a number of recycling events for residents. View the Current Recycling Events Calendar to take advantage of other recycling opportunities that promote waste reduction, reuse and recycling.
Back to Garbage, Recycling and Waste Reduction