Two Cubic Yards + Two Bulky Items Collected at the Curb
The On-Call Collection Program provides Sunnyvale residents of single family, duplex, triplex and mobile homes an opportunity to have extra garbage and bulky items picked up curbside twice per calendar year at no charge. You must make an appointment by calling Customer Service at (408) 730-7400 to schedule a collection no later than 2 p.m. the day before your regular service day.
Residents may place up to two cubic yards of non-hazardous household goods plus two bulky items, including electronics, at the curb for each scheduled On-Call appointment. Before scheduling an appointment, consider selling or donating still useful household goods to reduce waste going to the landfill. See our Donations listings for ideas on how to keep unwanted items out of the landfill.
Two cubic yards (3 feet x 3 feet x 6 feet)
- Extra garbage must be contained using any of these options:
- 32 gal. cans, 70 pounds or less
- Plastic bags, 30 pounds or less
- Cardboard boxes, up to 3' x 2' x 2', 25 pounds or less
- Carpet and padding
- In bundles up to 4' lengths, 1' diameter
- Televisions, monitors, computers and computer peripherals
- Radios, stereos, lamps, small appliances
- Corrugated cardboard - break down and flatten (do not need to be bundled for this service only)
- Lawnmowers - drain and dispose of fluids at hazardous waste drop-off event
Two bulky items
- Major appliances (tape shut/remove doors)
- Washer/dryer, hot water heaters (drain fluids)
- Large electronics (big screen televisions)
- Mattresses, furniture
Place materials curbside before 7 a.m. on your regular service day. A separate truck is dispatched for On-Call collections and may arrive any time prior to 6 p.m. to collect items. Do NOT place materials on top of water meter boxes or block driveways.
Specialty Solid Waste & Recycling will not collect the following materials:
Back to Garbage, Recycling and Waste Reduction
- Household hazardous waste;
- Fluorescent bulbs/tubes, thermometers, thermostats;
- Loose materials (must contain garbage in bags, boxes or other containers);
- Construction/demolition materials (contact Utilities Customer Service at (408) 730-7400 for debris box rentals);
- Rocks, concrete, dirt, sod
- Tree branches exceeding 6" diameter, tree stumps
- Floor/ceiling tiles and drywall
- Automotive parts, tires, auto body parts, car seats.