As of April 1, 2016, California’s Mandatory Commercial Organics law (AB1826) requires businesses to divert food scraps to keep them out of the garbage. Businesses need to put food scraps into separate collection bins and arrange for collection service through the City of Sunnyvale. Call the Commercial Recycling Specialist at (408) 730-7484.
What Materials are Acceptable in Sunnyvale?
- All food trimmings and plate scrapings, including meats and shellfish, eggs and dairy, fruits, vegetables and bakery items.
- Coffee filters and tea bags accepted.
- Clear plastic bags or compostable bag liners.
What Materials are Not Acceptable:
Send leftover food to a food bank for reuse
- No liquids (soups can be strained and the solids can go into the collection).
- No grease/oil.
- No glass, metal or plastic.
- No garbage, plastic gloves, foil wrappers, plastic straws or plastic stir-sticks.
- No black plastic bags.
- No paper or bathroom waste.
The Good Samaritan Food Donation Act
(Public Law 104-210
) allows businesses to donate prepared food.
For more information on how to manage your food waste, visit CalRecycle Food Scraps Management.