Residents living in single-family, duplex, triplex or mobile homes receive curbside recycling and yard trimmings collections as part of their garbage collection service - the ChoiceCollect program. Each residential unit is provided with a split-lid recycling cart for mixed paper and containers, and a 64- or 96-gallon cart for yard trimmings.
Recycling at the Curb: Split Cart, Split Truck
What to Recycle in the Split-Lid Recycling Cart
- Paper - Green-lid side of cart
- Mixed paper, catalogs, junk mail, paperboard, cereal boxes, tissue boxes, newspaper, magazines, paperback books, phone books, colored paper, office paper, gift wrap (no metallic papers), manila folders
- Shredded paper: put into a paper bag and staple shut before placing in recycling cart.
- Containers - Blue-lid side of cart
- Glass, metal, aluminum cans, clean aluminum foil and plastic bottles and tubs (stamped with #1 to #7)
- NEW! Cartons: milk, juice, soup
- No clamshells (hinged containers), no black plastics, no plastic bags or plastic film and no "foam" plastics
- No ceramics, glass baking dishes (like Pyrex) or drinking glasses
What if I have More Recyclables or Yard Trimmings Than Will Fit in My Cart?
Other Curbside Recyclables
- Paper: Put additional recyclable paper in paper bags labeled "PAPER" next to recycling cart on collection day.
- Containers: Put additional recyclable containers in paper bags labeled "CONTAINERS" next to recycling cart on collection day.
- Yard Trimmings: Place additional customer-supplied 32-gallon cans, labeled "yard trimmings", next to the yard trimmings cart for collection. Branches less than six inches in diameter and 4 feet long or shorter may be bundled (1 foot or less in diameter) and placed next to yard trimmings cart on collection day.
To ensure service, place recycling and garbage carts at curbside by 7 a.m. on scheduled service days, leaving 2 feet of space between each cart where possible. Stow garbage and recycling carts from public view after service.
- Household/rechargeable batteries, positive ends taped, place inside zip-locked bag
- Place on top of split recycling cart
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Tape/tie cardboard in bundles no larger than 30" x 30" x 6"
- Place next to recycling cart
- Used Motor Oil/Filters
- Use clean one gallon CLEAR plastic containers with screw-top lids
- Drain oil filters, place in CLEAR zip-locked bag
- Call Utilities Customer Service at (408) 730-7400 to request a container/bag if needed
- Place next to recycling cart
- After pick-up, a replacement container/bag will be provided by the collection driver
- Yard Trimmings
Recycling Options and Information
- SMaRT Station® Recycling Center - Accepts scrap metal, cardboard, textiles, paper, recyclable containers, holiday lights, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, computers and other e-waste, small appliances at no cost for drop-off, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 7 days a week.
- Current ReNews - Sunnyvale's Environmental Newsletter (found inside each Quarterly Report)
- A-Z Recycling - "How do I recycle . . . ?" - recycling resource guide
- Current Recycling Events Calendar - take advantage of no-cost recycling events
Garbage, recycling or yard waste carts that contain any hazardous waste or electronics will not be serviced.
Return to Garbage, Recycling and Waste Reduction