The City is monitoring the additional air traffic over Sunnyvale resulting from the FAA implementation of NextGen
; the information collected will be used to better inform discussions with the FAA. NextGen is a modernization of existing air traffic control systems by using GPS and sophisticated technologies in order to improve data reliability. Modernized airports in this area include San Francisco Intl Airport, Palo Alto Airport, and San Jose Intl Airport.
San Jose International (SJC) South Flow
Typically, during winter months, inclement weather and Southerly winds reverse the flight pattern at the airport – South Flow (pdf)
. Departures are to the South and arrivals come from the North. The weather conditions that cause the change in departure direction mostly occur during the months of September through March. However 2016 experienced unseasonable summer winds which dramatically increased the number of flights overhead. Sunnyvale advises residents to contact SJC with concerns about noise. As a result, SJC Director of Aviation, Kimberly Becker, requested that the FAA “review south flow flight procedures with the goal of identifying possible solutions to reduce the noise impacts on Sunnyvale residents” (See Correspondence section below).
Surf Air / San Carlos Airport Bayside Visual Approach (BVA)
In 2016, the FAA granted a request by San Mateo County to approve a six month pilot to divert the last leg of the Surf Air approach to San Carlos Airport (SQL); the diverted route flew north over Moffett Field and then over the Bay. The pilot began on July 5, 2016 and ended on January 5, 2017. The request, development and approval to implement the pilot occurred with no notification or outreach to Sunnyvale. The City immediately went on record in opposition to the pilot, citing, among other things, the lack of engagement with our community.
Town Hall Meeting
The City Council hosted a town hall meeting on October 18, 2016 to hear from Sunnyvale residents. Topics included types of air traffic over Sunnyvale, recent changes to flight patterns for SQL arrivals, and southern flow flights from SJC. View the full recording of the meeting
, along with presentation materials from San Mateo County and SJC.
Select Committee on South Bay Arrivals
The Select Committee is comprised of 12 local elected officials and built on the previous work of local stakeholders to develop regional solutions to address aircraft noise.
Draft Recommendations of the Select Committee on South Bay Arrivals
- October 20, 2016
Approved Report of the Select Committee on South Bay Arrivals
- November 17, 2016
Select Committee Appointees, Gary Waldeck (Mayor, Los Altos Hills) and Mary-Lynne Bernald (Vice Mayor, Saratoga), presented to the Cities Association of Santa Clara County on February 9, 2017 with the Report of Final Recommendation to Address Air Flight Noise
Federal Aviation Administration Feasibility Study
Read the FAA Initiative to Address Noise Concerns of Santa Cruz/Santa Clara/San Mateo/San Francisco Counties Feasibility Study
, along with the appendices
and executive summary
Read the reformatted version of the FAA Feasibility Study
as provided by the Office of Santa Clara County Supervisor Joe Simitian.
- Mayor Hendricks' letter to Congressman Khanna on regional advocacy - February 14, 2017
- Mayor Hendricks’ letter to FAA Regional Administrator Glen Martin on Class B airspace - January 31, 2017
- Mayor Hendricks’ letter to County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors on future Bayside Visual Approach implementations - January 31, 2017
- City Manager’s letter to County of San Mateo County Manager’s Office on future Bayside Visual Approach implementations - January 31, 2017
- FAA Regional Administrator Glen Martin's letter to SJC Director Kimberly Becker on South flow landings at SJC - January 6, 2017
- County of San Mateo County Manager’s Office letter to Community Members and Mayor Hendricks on Bayside Visual Approach pilot end - December 30, 2016
- SJC Director of Aviation Kimberly Becker’s letter to FAA Regional Administrator Glen Martin on South flow landings at SJC - November 30, 2016
- FAA Regional Administrator Glen Martin's letter to Mayor Hendricks on Bayside Visual Approach and South flow landings at SJC - November 21, 2016
- Mayor Hendricks' letter to the Select Committee on South Bay Arrivals on draft report comments - November 4, 2016
- Congressman Honda's letter to the Select Committee on South Bay Arrivals on draft report comments - November 2, 2016
- County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors reply to Mayor Hendricks on Bayside Visual Approach pilot - July 28, 2016
- Congresswoman Eshoo's letter to the County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors on Surf Air use of Bayside Visual Approach - July 25, 2016
- Mayor Hendricks’ letter to County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors on airline route impacts - July 5, 2016
- Congresswoman Eshoo's letter to the County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors on Surf Air use of Bayside Visual Approach - June 14, 2016
- Senator Feinstein and Boxer's letter to FAA Administrator Michael Huerta on NextGen noise impacts - April 12, 2016