The Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety’s Crime Prevention Unit offers a variety of services and educational programs including home and business security surveys, fire safety, personal safety, headquarters tours and Neighborhood Watch.
REMEMBER: Report suspicious activity immediately. Call 9-1-1.
Tips for Safe and Happy Holidays
If you’re traveling…
- Get an automatic timer for your lights.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your home and park their car in the driveway.
- Have your mail and newspaper delivery stopped. If it piles up, it’s a sure sign that you're not home.
If you’re out for the evening…
- Turn on lights and a radio or TV so it appears that someone is home.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave, even if it’s just for a few minutes. A wooden dowel in the track of a window or sliding door is just as good as a dead bolt on a door.
- Don’t display gifts where they can be seen from outside.
If you’re shopping…
- Stay alert and be aware of what’s going on around you.
- Park in a well-lighted area and be sure to close your windows and lock your doors.
- Do not store purchased items in plain view inside your car. Place them in the trunk prior to leaving.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with a debit or credit card or write a check.
- Sling purses across your body, not dangling from your shoulder.
- Shopping with kids? Teach them to go to a store clerk or security guard if you get separated.
Burglary Prevention Tips
There are things that can be done to make you home less desirable to burglars...
- Lock ALL of your doors and windows and use secondary blocking devices on that that slide open (i.e. small wooden dowel rod)
- Secure all of your home tools inside your garage or residence
- LOCK your side gate
- Keep your garage door closed
- Download tracking apps to your electronic devices and ensure they are activated
- Communicate with your neighbors when you’re going to be away from home for an extended period of time. Ask a trusted neighbor to park their car in your driveway while you are gone.
- Photograph your valuables and record their serial numbers
Beyond The Badge
Beyond the Badge is a public outreach email newsletter published by the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety (DPS). With this newsletter, we provide information to our community members about who we are and about the services we provide.
To view a sample of Beyond The Badge online, click here.
To join our mailing list, click here.