Sidewalk construction with new concrete
  • Encroachment Permits


City Hall
456 W. Olive Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

Mailing address:
Public Works
P.O. Box 3707
Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3707

Phone: (408) 730-7415
Fax: (408) 730-7286

Contact us

Hours: M-F 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m

Permit inspections:
(408) 730-7605



Encroachment Permits

Any work performed in the public right-of-way (off-site) or in a public utility easement (P.U.E.) requires an Encroachment Permit, including work for various utility companies (PG&E, AT&T, Comcast, California Water Company), fiber optics, and monitoring wells. Please refer to Sunnyvale Municipal Code Title 13, Chapter 13.08 for right-of-way encroachment procedures and regulations.


NOTICE: To all Contractors working within Sunnyvale. Temporary water meters for the use of construction are issued by the City's Utility Billing Division.

Permit Application

Use the Permit Requirements form as a check list for submitting an encroachment permit package. Complete an Encroachment Permit Application and submit the permit application package to the Public Works Department/Engineering Division. The Application can be mailed to the address below or submitted in person at the One-Stop Permit Center in City Hall. Hours of operation are: 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday.

Permit application mailing address:
Sunnyvale City Hall
Attn: Public Works Dept., Engineering Division
456 W. Olive Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

Permit Fee

The Encroachment Permit Fee shall be per Page 45, Section 8.01 of the city's master Fee Schedule. Permit fee is subject to change every fiscal year as part of the city's budget approval. Fee Schedule FY 2016/2017.

Contractor’s License and Certificate of Insurance

Individuals performing work permitted through an Encroachment Permit must be licensed contractors with Class A General Engineering license from the State of California. Other license classifications may be acceptable depending upon the type and scope of work.
Please refer to:

The contractor shall provide a Certificate of Insurance with general liability insurance of single coverage of $1,000,000.00 minimum. Said policy shall name the City of Sunnyvale as an additional insured (A separate endorsement sheet is required with the insurance policy, and the location and job description must be included on the policy). Refer to the Insurance Certificate Sample for specific information needed.

Cash Deposit/Surety Bond

Depending upon the type and scope of the work being performed in the public right-of-way, surety bonds and/or cash deposit may be required to guarantee completion of quality work and to provide one-year warranty.  Please refer to Faithful Performance Bond SampleLabor and Materials Bond Sample, Maintenance Bond Sample for specific information needed.

Permit Conditions

Encroachment Permit will be issued with general conditions and/or special conditions. Traffic control plan may be required (depending upon location, hour and/or nature of work) and it shall be approved by City’s traffic engineer. Permit from other agencies may also be required (e.g., Caltrans, Santa Clara Valley Water District, Santa Clara County, etc.). Traffic Control Plans (if required) shall be in compliance with the latest California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (CA MUTCD) and the Temporary Traffic Control Guidelines.

Permit Inspection

Inspections are required for all encroachment permits issued. Inspections may be scheduled by calling 408-730-7605 at least one business day prior to the date the inspection is needed.

Encroachment permits must be present at the job site at all times. Uninspected work will be rejected.




City of Sunnyvale

Normal City Hours of Operation are
8 a.m. until 5 p.m.

(408) 730-7500

  • Sunnyvale City Hall
  • 456 W. Olive Ave.
  • Sunnyvale, CA 94086
  • TDD (408) 730-7501
  • Map and Directions 
  • City of Sunnyvale Logo

Can't Find It?

Follow Us

Follow us on Facebok Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Google+ Follow us on LinkedIn Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Vimeo Follow us on YouTube

About the Web Site

The City of Sunnyvale Web Site
is maintained by the Sunnyvale Communications Office and
the Department of Information Technology.

Questions? Contact Us.

The Fine Print