Community Event Grants - Now Accepting Applications
The City of Sunnyvale encourages non-profit and not-for-profit organizations planning community events in Sunnyvale to apply for a Community Event Grant. Applications are due by Friday, May 22. Guidelines and a downloadable application are available below.
Community Event Grant Guidelines
Community Event Grant Application
Budget Help Worksheet
Special Events in Sunnyvale
Special events bring large groups of community members together for a variety of reasons, including traditional celebrations, educational opportunities and athletic competitions. Events play a vital role in building goodwill in our community, engaging residents in meaningful activities.
Thank you for your interest in holding a special event in Sunnyvale. Depending on the nature of your event, you may need to obtain additional permits or approvals to ensure a well-planned, safe event. The City of Sunnyvale has created a simplified process to help you determine what type of permits and approvals you will need.
What qualifies as a Special Event?
The best way to determine if your event requires a Special Event Permit is to call our office at (408) 730-7599 or send an e-mail to email@example.com. In general, if your event meets one or more of the following criteria, you may be required to complete an Special Event Application:
- Event includes 2 or more street closures
- Your event requires traffic and/or intersection control
- Parking needs exceed the capacity of the venue
- Your event requires crowd control or security personnel
- Your event is a parade, carnival or festival on public property.
What is a Special Event Application?
A Special Event Application is a questionnaire form designed to gather all necessary information about your event. Instead of completing multiple permit applications, this single application is reviewed by each City department to determine the need for specific permits or City services. All Special Event Applications are due to the City at least 60 days before the proposed event. Download the Special Event Application.
What is the process for obtaining a Special Event Permit?
1) Submit your completed application at least 60 days before your proposed event with a check made payable to City of Sunnyvale for $115 (non-refundable processing fee). If your event requires a significant amount of planning or long lead times for publicity and promotion, please submit your application 4-6 months in advance of the event date. Applications may be hand delivered or mailed to the Community Services Division, located at the Senior Center, 550 East Remington Drive. Applications may also be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent by fax to (408) 737-4965.
2) Incomplete applications will not be processed. Applications will not be processed until the processing fee is received. Any unpaid balances owed to the City must be paid in full before an event application may be processed.
3) You will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of your application. It will then be reviewed by various City departments, which may take up to four weeks. During this time, you may be contacted by City staff for clarification regarding your event plans.
4) Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive either a conditions of approval letter or a denial letter, depending upon the details of your event. A conditional letter will outline what is required before your event, such as necessary permits, approvals and/or applicable fees. This may include, but is not limited to, the following:
Once all conditions of approval have been met, a Special Event Permit will be issued by City of Sunnyvale. You will be required to have this permit in your possession during your event.
We appreciate your time and interest in planning a successful and safe event in Sunnyvale. If you need further assistance, call the Community Services Division at (408) 730-7599, TDD (408) 730-7501, or e-mail email@example.com.