Special Events in Sunnyvale
The City of Sunnyvale encourages groups to build community and celebrate our unique culture by holding community events in Sunnyvale. Depending on the nature of the event, a number of different permits or approvals may be required to ensure a well-planned, safe event. The City of Sunnyvale has created a simplified special event permit process for all special events in Sunnyvale to help you determine what type of City permits and approvals you will need.
What Qualifies as a Special Event?
If your event is a community event open to the public, parade, carnival or festival, or if it has one or more of the following needs, you will be required to go through the special event permit process;
- closures of two or more streets
- traffic control
- crowd control or security personnel
If you are unsure if your event qualifies, contact the Community Services Division at 408-730-7599 or email Events.
Special Event Permit Applications and Process
To begin the special event permit process, fill out and submit an application and the processing fee. This single application will be reviewed by City staff who will either approve the event, deny it or determine the need for additional permits, services or approvals. Page 1 of the application outlines the entire process in more detail.
Special Event Applications must be submitted at least 6 weeks before the event, unless the event is a festival or cultural event with an anticipated attendance over 750 people, in which applications must be submitted 8 weeks before your event.
Now Accepting Applications for the Community Events Grant Program
The City of Sunnyvale Community Events Grant Program is now accepting applications for events occurring between July 2017 to June 2018. Through this program, grant funds are provided to nonprofit or not-for-profit organizations planning to host a free and open to the public community event in Sunnyvale. See the documents below for more information about the program and to determine if your group qualifies. Applications are due by Friday April 7, 2017 by 5 p.m.
Other Helpful Resources for Planning a Special Event:
- Standard for Outdoor Assembly Events - Sunnyvale's requirements for Fire Code regulated activities at special events. All event organizers are required to comply with applicable provisions of this document.
- Facility/Park Reservations & Rentals – Learn about City of Sunnyvale facilities and parks that are available to reserve/rent for special events.
- Traffic Control Plan Guidelines – If requesting a street closure for your event, a Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) Plan will be required. This document includes guidelines for a TTC Plan and examples.
For questions, contact the Community Services Division at 408-730-7599 or email Events.