Calling all photographers – professionals, amateurs and students! Enter our photo contest to showcase Sunnyvale and celebrate our community. Capture that image of the bustle on Murphy Avenue, the quiet beauty of morning light on the Community Center pond, or snap photos of the innovation and history that comprise our City. Encourage others to see the City through your eyes and highlight what makes Sunnyvale unique. The contest is free and open to photographers of all ages.
ENTRY DEADLINE: May 15, 2017 by 5 p.m.
Email submissions only. We will not accept photographs submitted through the mail or in person.
Photos taken prior to the start of the contest (January 1, 2017) are eligible.
CATEGORIES: Capture Sunnyvale’s beautiful environment, eclectic architecture, active people and vibrant community life. Submit your favorite photographs in these categories:
- Outdoors—open spaces, parks, scenery, wildlife (preferred without people)
- Community—people-focused, events, diverse population, activities, business, service, everyday life
- Architecture—landmarks, buildings, structures, public art (preferred without people)
- Artistic—photos manipulated for artistic purposes
Cropped photos and minor photo editing are acceptable for all four categories.
WINNERS: A First, Second and Third Place winner will be announced in each Category. These winning photos will be posted to the City’s Facebook page where the public will vote to select the “People’s Choice Award.” All winning photos will be displayed in the City Hall Gallery, posted on the City website and published in the City’s newsletter.
All submitted photos may be used online on the City’s website, social media and in printed marketing publications.
JUDGING: The Communications Division of the City Manager’s Office will judge the entries in November. Photographs will be judged on the basis of creativity, photographic quality, composition, and how an image expresses the theme of the selected category. Judges reserve the right to switch images to other categories. Decisions of the judges will be final.
- Photos must be within Sunnyvale City limits,
- High resolution no less than 3 mega pixels, or digitally scanned if from a non-digital camera, must be in either JPG or PNG digital format,
- File size between 3 megabytes (minimum) and 9 megabytes (maximum) at 300 dpi (dots per inch) of sufficient resolution to print at 8 by 10 inch size without a loss of quality,
- File name: enter number of category above (1-4), followed by the contestant name and short photograph title without using capital letters, spaces or underlines. For example:
- Please submit the image only—do not embed captions, words, watermarks or photographer's name on the image.
SUBMIT YOUR PHOTOS BY EMAIL ONLY: Entering is easy and free! Limit: up to 5 entries (emails) per contestant in any combination of categories. Send only ONE image file per email AS AN ATTACHMENT (do not embed image files in the message area) and send to: email@example.com with the subject line #photo contest entry#
For each email, the contestant MUST supply the following information:
A. On the email subject line: #photo contest entry#
B. In the message area enter:
- First and last name of contestant:
- Contact phone number:
- Email address:
- Photo category by number (1-4) above:
- Title of photograph:
- Date and location where photo was taken:
- No photographs older than three years, please.
By submitting entries, the contestant acknowledges and agrees to the terms of the contest ENTRY AGREEMENT.
If you have questions contact the Communications Division by email or call 408-730-7535.
In submitting the attached photo(s) (PHOTO) to the City of Sunnyvale (CITY) and participating in
the City of Sunnyvale Photo Contest I (we), (CONTESTANT), hereby warrant and agree to the following:
- CONTESTANT warrants to CITY that he/she has lawful ownership rights to the PHOTO and acknowledges that once submitted, the PHOTO becomes the property of the CITY.
- The PHOTO is the result of CONTESTANT'S sole artistic efforts unless otherwise stated above as a collaboration.
- Photos must not infringe or violate any personal property rights of individuals depicted in the photos. CONTESTANT asserts that for clearly recognizable individuals depicted in the photos, permission has been obtained from that individual for use by the City.
- Except as otherwise disclosed in writing to CITY in this submittal form, the PHOTO is unique and original and does not infringe upon any copyright or patent.
- By entering the contest, the CONTESTANT grants the City of Sunnyvale a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival and all other standard City of Sunnyvale purposes. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible. The City of Sunnyvale will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any approval in connection with such uses.
CONTESTANT agrees to release CITY, its agents, officials, employees, and volunteers from and against all liability, including copyright or patent infringement claims or causes of action, arising out of this Agreement and claims arising from CONTESTANT'S participation in the City of Sunnyvale Photo Contest. CONTESTANT agrees to defend (with counsel satisfactory to CITY), indemnify and hold City harmless and free from all liability, whether caused by passive negligence or otherwise, arising out of CONTESTANT'S participation or association with the City of Sunnyvale Photo Contest. CONTESTANT agrees to pay all costs incident to any claim, including, without limitation, attorneys' fees. CONTESTANT agrees that the above information is correct. CONTESTANT further agrees that this agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the law of the State of California.
Please do not contact the City about the status of entries.
We look forward to your submissions!
Showcase Sunnyvale 2016 Photo Contest Winners
We are excited to announce the results of our Showcase Sunnyvale Photo Contest. Congratulations to the winning photographers and to everyone who entered. All of the photos reflected a range of styles and subjects and truly showcased our city's diversity, making the judging both fun and challenging!
Category 1 - Outdoors (tie for first place)
1. Alfred Leung - Good Morning Sunnyvale – People’s Choice Award winner
1. Stephen Raiola – Community Center
2. Iryna Zubkova (Vernier) – Sakura
3. Rebecca Moon - Egret on the Bay Trail
Category 2 - Community
1. T. Mallie Brathwaite – The Wonder of a Child
2. Alfred Leung – Here Comes Number One
3. T. Mallie Brathwaite – Cherry Chase Crossing Guard
Category 3 - Architecture
1. Alfred Leung- After The Rain
2. Romain Kang – Caltrain Clock
3. Alfred Leung - Synopsys Building
Category 4 - Artistic
1. Stephen Raiola – Community Center Ducks
2. Harlan Crowder - Transition
The winning entries are posted to our City Facebook page.