The Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety (DPS) is unique, as it is one of the few city fire agencies in California designated as a Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) by the State Secretary for Environmental Protection.
Agencies designated as a CUPA ensure consistency throughout the state regarding administrative requirements, permits, inspections, and enforcement of hazardous materials and hazardous wastes through the following state-regulated environmental programs:
- Hazardous Materials Reporting through the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS)
- Hazardous Waste Generator
- Hazardous Waste Treatment
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program
- Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tanks
- California Accidental Release Prevention (CalARP)