• Email
  • Print

Hazardous Materials Management and Reporting

The goal of the Department of Public Safety’s Hazardous Materials Program is to protect lives, property and the environment by reducing the factors that contribute to emergencies associated with hazardous materials. We accomplish this through education, inspections and enforcement of the California Fire Code, as amended by the City of Sunnyvale and six state-wide environmental programs enforced at the local level by the Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA).

CalEPA Unified Program State Surcharge Increase for FY 2021/2022
Effective immediately CalEPA increased the Oversight part of the annual State Surcharges. They raised the fee from $49 to $84. Visit CUPA (link above) under "Unified Program News" for details.

Certified Unified Program Agency

The Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety (DPS) is unique, as it is one of the few city fire agencies in California designated as a Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) by the State Secretary for Environmental Protection.

Agencies designated as a CUPA ensure consistency throughout the state regarding administrative requirements, permits, inspections, and enforcement of hazardous materials and hazardous wastes through the following state-regulated environmental programs:

  • Hazardous Materials Reporting through the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS)
  • Hazardous Waste Generator
  • Hazardous Waste Treatment
  • Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program
  • Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tanks
  • California Accidental Release Prevention (CalARP)
Hazardous Materials Inspection Services

Hazardous Materials staff regularly inspect permitted facilities to verify compliance with federal, state and local regulations. Enforcement action is taken as needed. During inspections, we strive to educate business owners and operators on the hazards and risks presented by noncompliance.

Electronic Reporting (CERS)

Regulated hazardous materials businesses are required to annually submit business plans, hazardous materials inventories, site maps and other information relevant to their operations electronically via the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS).

If you have questions or need assistance with CERS, contact us at 408-730-7212.

Hazardous Materials Permitting

Operating and construction permits may be required for activities related to the storage, use or handling of hazardous materials. Permit thresholds vary and are established by the California Fire Code, as amended by the City of Sunnyvale and CUPA regulations.

To inquire about a hazardous materials permit, call 408-730-7212.

Find required hazardous materials permits and fees

Hazardous Materials Records Request

The public is allowed reasonable access to all hazardous materials records except those deemed confidential, subject to the City of Sunnyvale policies and regulations.

To request records related to hazardous materials in Sunnyvale, complete and return the Fire Prevention and Hazardous Materials File Review Request Form.

Plan Check Services

Our services include reviewing new construction plans for facilities planning to store or use hazardous materials after plan submittal for construction permits. Hazardous Materials staff members are also available upon request to attend predesign meetings with business owners and operators, and other business representatives, such as contractors and consultants, prior to plan submittal.

Last Updated: Sep 2, 2021