Learn What Your Library Card Can Do
"[Getting] a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning." (American Library Association)
September is Library Card Sign-Up Month, a time when libraries nationwide remind parents, caregivers and students about the life-long benefits of a library card.
Try these Library resources at home:
- OverDrive/Libby (Northern California Digital Library) - Popular fiction and nonfiction eBooks and eAudiobooks for free download.
- cloudLibrary - Popular fiction and nonfiction titles for children, teens and adults.
- TumbleBook Library - A collection of animated, talking picture books for children.
- RBDigital Magazines - Popular magazines including Cosmopolitan, The Economist, Good Housekeeping, Macworld, O, The Oprah Magazine, Popular Science.
- The New York Times - Direct access to issues from 1851 to today's news, including Spanish and Chinese versions. Access is made possible with support from the California State Library. First-time visitors will need to create an account with The New York Times.
- hoopla - Popular movies, TV shows, music and audiobooks.
- Kanopy - Access over 30,000 movies and documentaries, including titles from the Criterion Collection, PBS, children's content and more.
- Ancestry.com - Research family history and genealogy. Remote access will be available until Dec. 31.
- AtoZDatabases - Reference and marketing database that includes 30 million business profiles and and contact information for 200 million residents. Sales leads, mailing lists, market research and employment opportunities.
- Creativebug - An online learning community for DIY crafters. Unlimited access to classes on painting, drawing, sewing, cake decorating and more.
- Earn Your High School Diploma (Career Online High School) - Expand your career opportunities, re-enter the workforce or continue your education. Learn more about our online high school program.
- Lynda.com - Educational site with over 3,000 courses (and 130,000 videos) in popular fields like web design, web development, IT, education and instruction, media production and business.
- Mango Languages - Learn a new language, or study English as a Second Language (ESL), by practicing conversation skills with Mango's online language learning tool.
- Safari Tech Books - E-reference library with collection of technical books from industry-leading publishers.
- Tutor.com - Get live online help from tutors in more than 40 subjects, including math, science and English. Live help is available daily from noon to midnight. Tutoring for students from kindergarten through adult classes. Service also offers job search coaching and test preparation.
- Freegal - Access to popular music online. Includes over 15 million songs and over 40,000 music videos. Listen online or download three songs per week for offline listening.
Need a Library Card?
If you’re not a Sunnyvale Public Library cardholder, but would like to obtain instant access to eBooks, streaming movies, music and more: Get a Library Card
September 1, 2020
Last Updated: Nov 10, 2017