• Email
  • Print

File a Claim Against the City

How Do I File a Claim Against the City of Sunnyvale?

  • Government Code sections 905 and 915 require completion of a claim form with written justification for the amount of your claim.
  • Claims must be filed within six months following the incident.
  • Be sure to fill out the form completely, as an incomplete form may delay processing of your claim.
  • Including a complete list of the names, addresses, and contact information for all witnesses to the incident will assist with the prompt review of the claim.
  • Property damage claims require an estimate of repair costs and photographs of the alleged damage.
  • Personal injury claims require copies of all bills from treating physicians and proof of any other expenses claimed as a result of the incident.
    • If you are claiming a wage loss, you need to provide supporting documentation of work days and wages lost.

Claim Form

How do I Submit my Claim?

Submit the original, signed claim form to the Office of the City Clerk:

By mail:

City of Sunnyvale
City Clerk
P.O. Box 3707
Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3707

In person:

City Clerk
603 All America Way
Sunnyvale CA 94088-3707

What Happens After I File a Claim?

  • A letter of acknowledgment with your claim number will be sent to you notifying you that your claim has been received. Use that claim number when inquiring about the status of your claim.
  • Allow 45 days for the Risk Management Division to process and investigate your claim.
  • The City may request additional information concerning your claim; such a request is neither an admission of responsibility or liability nor a commitment to make any payment on the claim.

What Are Possible Outcomes of Claims Review?

  • Settlement offer: The City may offer to settle your claim if the investigation concludes it is responsible or at fault, and all information has been submitted.
  • Formal Denial: You will receive a formal denial letter if the City has determined that it is not responsible or at fault and will not pay any money in response to the claim. If your claim is denied and you wish to file a lawsuit against the City, you must do so within six months from the date the denial letter is placed in the mail.
  • Delayed Decision: The City may postpone decision on your claim until medical treatment has been completed and bills or appropriate wage-loss forms and payroll records are submitted.

If you do not receive a formal denial of your claim, you have two years from the date of the incident to resolve your claim or file a lawsuit.

Who Should I Contact if I Have Questions About Filing a Claim?

  • If you have questions about your claim, contact the Risk Management Division at 408-730-7490.
  • You may seek the advice of a private attorney at any time during the investigation and evaluation of your claim.

The City Attorney is counsel for the City and cannot provide advice regarding the merits of your claim.

Last Updated: Jun 25, 2021