• Email
  • Print

Animal Control

The Sunnyvale Animal Control Unit responds to calls for services for stray, sick, aggressive or injured animals, investigates reports of animal cruelty and oversees the animal licensing and rabies control programs. The City contracts with the Humane Society Silicon Valley (HSSV) and the Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley for animal sheltering services.

Call the Public Safety desk officer at 408-730-7110 to report:

  • Barking dog(s)

Call Animal Control at 408-730-7178 to report:

  • Loose dog(s)
  • Trapped feral or nuisance cats
  • Nuisance animals
  • Animal bites or aggressive animals
  • Animal cruelty or injured animals

Full Municipal Code Title 6. Animals

Pet Licensing

State law and City ordinance require that all dogs 4 months of age and older be vaccinated against rabies and licensed. The City has partnered with PetData to make it easier to license your pet or renew your pet's registration online or by mail. Call 1-877-594-9690 or visit PetData.

Residents may have a combined total of four domesticated dogs and cats. Dogs and cats under 120 days old do not count as part of the total.

Report Lost and Found Pets
  • To theHSSVat 408-262-2133 ext. 110
  • Or call Animal Control.
Borrow Humane Traps for Feral or Community Cats

Humane traps are available for Sunnyvale residents to borrow to trap injured or feral, community or nuisance cats. Traps may also be used for sick or injured wildlife. You may use traps for up to 10 days free of charge.

To request a trap, call Animal Control.

Report Dead Animals

To report a dead animal:

  • on a City street, contact Animal Control
  • on private property, if the animal is a pet such as a dog, cat or rabbit, contact Animal Control, which will impound the animal at the HSSV for owner identification
    • Dead wildlife on private property should be placed in a plastic bag and disposed of in a garbage can by the property owner.
  • all dead bats, contact Animal Control
  • in a City park, contact the Parks Department at 408-730-7506
  • on the freeway, contact Caltrans at 408-436-0930
  • on the expressway, contact Santa Clara County Animal Control at 408-201-0660

For questions or concerns about wildlife, contact theWildlife Center of Silicon Valleyat 408-929-9453.

For general wildlife advice and inspection, contact Santa Clara County Vector Control District at 408-918-4770 or 800-675-1155.

To report sick or injured wildlife that may pose a safety threat to residents (raccoons, opossums, deer, bats, birds of prey and large, sharp-beaked birds), call Animal Control.

Pest Control

For pest control services, contact a private pest control company.

For general pest control advice, inspection and select services, contact Santa Clara County Vector Control District at 408-918-4770 or 800-675-1155.

Last Updated: Apr 5, 2022