The Department of Public Safety's Crime Prevention Unit can inspect
child car seats and instruct parents how to make any needed corrections.
Use the form below or call 408-730-7179 to schedule an appointment.
Child Safety Seat Inspection Information
Appointments are only available on Wednesdays from 1 to 4 p.m., excluding holidays when all City offices and services are closed.
- There is typically a wait list for this free service.
- You must be a Sunnyvale resident and you must have an appointment.
- Each appointment (for one car seat) is approximately 45 minutes long.
- The car seat must be installed prior to your appointment and
cannot be expired, or more than 5 years past the manufacture date (if no
expiration date is visible).
- Please bring your car seat manual, your vehicle owner's manual
and if possible, the child who will be using the seat to your
- Please make sure that the back of your car is clean and clear so
that our technicians have enough space to work and instruct you on the
proper installation and use of your child’s car seat.
Learn How to Find the Right Car Seat
Request a Child Safety Seat Inspection.