Keep Deliveries Safe This Season
Do a lot of online shopping? Packages left on porches or by front doors have become a popular target for thieves.
The Department of Public Safety has some tips to help you discourage package pilferers:
- Have packages delivered to a location where someone can receive them in-person. Ask a neighbor or relative who is usually home, or have packages delivered to your workplace, if your employer allows it.
- Encourage your neighbors to watch for deliveries and agree to secure each other’s packages. This includes looking out for any strangers who are going onto porches, or following delivery trucks.
- Ask the shipper to hold your package at their facility—most shipping companies offer this service.
- Track deliveries online. Many companies can send a text notification to your cellphone when a package has been delivered.
- Request a signature confirmation of delivery.
- Insure valuable items.
- Provide delivery instructions to leave packages out of sight from the street.
- Consider installing a camera surveillance system. Many cameras include features, such as high-definition resolution and saved images, that can help law enforcement should an incident occur.
If you discover that your package has been stolen, call Public Safety's non-emergency line at 408-730-7180 to report it.
If the crime is in progress, call 911 immediately and do not approach the suspect.
December 3, 2018