• Email
  • Print

Mobile Home Parks

Sunnyvale Mobile Home Park Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

The MOU project began in Jan. 2021 as part of the 2020 Housing Strategy. Council adopted the MOU in July 2021. The MOU only covers residents once they sign the City prepared Lease Addendum.

Subscribe to stay informed

Join the MOU Compliance Committee (MCC)

As part of the new MOU, the City Council approved the creation of a new oversight committee. The MCC will be made up of mobile home park residents who own their mobile home and mobile home park owners. This committee will ensure the successful and fair implementation of the MOU.

We are accepting applications to apply for a seat at the MCC. The committee will allow one mobile home resident per park to serve on the committee for a term of five years.

Who: Mobile Home Owner-Residents at Casa de Amigos, Fair Oaks, Fox Hollow, Rancho La Mesa and Willow Ranch
Application Deadline: Open until filled


Email us or call 408-730-7250.

About the MOU

What is a Mobile Home MOU?

The Sunnyvale MOU established a new agreement for how Park Owners must implement various mobile home regulations for the next twenty years. Our MOU will help keep mobile homes as a more affordable housing option in Sunnyvale and serves as an alternative to a rent stabilization ordinance.

The Sunnyvale MOU established a new agreement for how park owners must regulate:

  • Annual rent increases maximum percentages
  • Rent increases upon sale of the mobile home
  • Costs transferred from owner to resident (such as construction of new amenity)
  • How to support residents with financial hardships

Read the Mobile Home Park Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

Is the Park I Live in Subject to the MOU?

The only parks in Sunnyvale not subject to the MOU are rental parks. Those are Aloha, Ranchero and Thunderbird.

When does the MOU Take Effect?

Park residents had 60 days to sign a new Lease Addendum from Nov. 1, 2021. Once you sign the MOU Lease Addendum you are covered by the new MOU. If not signed now the MOU terms will take effect at the end of your existing lease.

Park Resident Resources

Mobile Home Park MOU Frequently Asked Questions

Mobile Home Park MOU Frequently Asked Questions - Spanish

Read the Questions and Answers from the MOU Lease Addendum Meetings held in November

Questions? Email us 

The City can't provide legal advice on your current lease or the MOU Lease Addendum. For questions on your Lease Addendum contact your on-site management. For tenant resources contact Project Sentinel or the Law Foundation.


About Mobile Home Parks

Who Regulates Mobile Home Parks?

Mobile home parks are primarily regulated by the State of California Department of Housing and Community Development. The City does provide safety-related services. These include fire and police protection within Sunnyvale mobile home parks. We also have mobile-home park related land-use policies and zoning codes. These pertain to major changes to existing parks and new developments.

Read the California Mobile Home Residency Law

Who Should I Contact for Help?

The State regulates most aspects of mobile home parks.

For help with:

  • Installation and removal of mobile homes
  • Code enforcement
  • Utility connections and related issues
  • Health and safety conditions within mobile homes and park property

Call 800-952-5275 or file a complaint with the State Mobile Home Assistance Center.

For help with:

  • Space rent concerns
  • Other park management issues

Learn how Project Sentinel can help resolve disputes between tenants and landlords.

What if I Can't Afford Repairs to my Mobile Home?

The City's Home Improvement Program offers loans and grants to help lower-income mobile home owners repair their homes. For additional information or to apply, call 408-730-7250.

Home Improvement Program

Does the City Protect Mobile Home Parks from Redevelopment?

The City has adopted a Mobile Home Park Conversion Ordinance (Chapter 19.72 of the Municipal Code) to regulate mobile home park closures or conversions to other uses.

The City's General Plan and Zoning Ordinance include Mobile Home Exclusive zones. In general, land within this zone can only be developed as a mobile home park. This means conversion of parks within these zones would require the land to be rezoned or require a General Plan amendment, both of which require City Council approval.

Last Updated: Apr 26, 2022